Monday, September 14, 2009

Experimental

This was dinner tonight and turned out to be a delicious experiment. My nephews complained yesterday that my sister had made dirty rice, and it got me thinking. I googled some recipes for dirty rice, but noticed that they all included vegetables--so I decided to make up something on my own.

I started out by cooking rice last night. This evening I fried a pound of ground beef--adding some season salt, lemon pepper, and onion powder (I really need to get more seasonings). Then I added a packet of taco seasoning and mixed it all up (no I didn't drain the grease off, I'm too lazy and I think it tastes good). I pulled 1/2 to 2/3 of the meat out of the skillet to save for later. Then I put in a couple cups of the cooked white rice and some pieces of polish sausage and bratwurst that I'd cut up. Finally I heated up a small packet of black beans I'd bought at Kroger tonight and tossed them in.

I put this mixture into a flour tortilla and topped it with a bit of grated mozzarella cheese (the only cheese I had already grated) and ate it with a glass of milk. It was delicious! I have some leftovers and will definitely be trying it again.

~Matt
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks good. Corn would also be good in it.

~Cheryl

Matt said...

Cheryl,

Thanks for the idea...I might just try that next time...

~Matt

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mom about the tomatoes. I like them diced and cooked. They would be good in it as well.

~Cheryl