Friday, January 18, 2019

Kittery Trading Post

Our in-laws had told us that we should visit Kittery Trading Post when we arrived in Maine.  It is a fascinating store that you can best think of as an independently owned precursor to stores like Bass Pro and Cabela's.

1938: Philip (Bing) Adams purchases Kittery Trading Post on Route One in Kittery, Maine from Frank Haskell for the sum of $4,000.00.

The store was originally purchased by the family that still runs it back in 1938 and was a gas station and small one-room building.  It has since grown into a much larger establishment this is fun to walk around.  You can read more about the history of the store on their website's history page.

Outside we browsed through the bargain tent for a bit.

Inside I was excited to see a penny machine.  I enjoy adding new smashed pennies to my collection.
We bought this sticker to decorate our ice chest.
 I always enjoy seeing taxidermy specimens, especially if it is an animal I can't see that close up in the wild like a moose.
 I of course had to check out the book section.
 I thought this display was rather clever to show off waterproof paper.
 They didn't have a huge selection of books, but it was fun to look through them.
 I enjoyed seeing a short history presented on this sign by the cashiers.
These photographs of the store over the years were also interesting to see.

If you drive to Maine along the coast from Massachusetts it is well worth taking a few minutes to stop by Kittery Trading Post and stretching your legs.  You might even find something interesting to buy.  The above and other pictures I took can be found in this album.

~Matt

No comments: