Friday, February 21, 2020

Book Review: Eating Việt Nam by Graham Holliday

Eating Việt Nam
Dispatches from a Blue Plastic Table
by Graham Holliday


I picked up this book a couple of years ago while browsing a local dollar store.  I don't remember exactly what caught my eye, but I decided it would be worth reading after the first couple pages grabbed my interest.

The volume sat on my shelf for a while, but I started reading at some point and then put it down.  A few weeks ago I decided to continue on to the end.  I mention this not to insinuate that the book is boring, but this is how I read--I'm usually in the middle of a decent number of books at a time and only the very best get devoured quickly with no interruptions.  Other volumes are ones that I go back and forth between.

This book tells a very compelling story.  The author spent time in Vietnam in the employ of the British government and then as a journalist.  He also met his wife their and their son was born in the country, so it is very much a part of his life.  While in the country he decided to try many different foods and even ended up starting the very first street food blog.  Each chapter tells the story of a different dish, including the interesting ingredients in some of them as well as the unusual places where he encountered the food.

I really enjoyed the writing, but personally I don't think I would enjoy many of the foods he described.  While some do sound quite strange to the standard American palate others are just not quite my cup of tea, being defined by a large number of herbs and vegetables.  However, even if you don't think you'll find yourself eating the dishes I think you'll find the stories he tells interesting to experience.

The book starts out describing Graham's time in the northern city of Hanoi (or Hà Nội) and then moves to his time in the south in the city known as Ho Chi Minh City or Saigon (or Sài Gòn).  While Graham says he was never conversant in Vietnamese he peppers his book with as many local words and spellings as he can, so I'll admit I had to guess at many pronunciations.  Though I grew up with many Vietnamese classmates and friends I sadly didn't pick up very much of the language.

You'll also find a few pieces of artwork sprinkled throughout the book that were drawn by the author.


Note: there are several passages that include curse words, so take note if you want to utterly avoid those.  Also many different parts of animals not commonly eaten are described (eating various offal, a uterus, drinking blood, etc...) so if you have a weak stomach this may not be something you'll enjoy.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Summary: A travelogue/food exploration through many street vendors and back alleys of Vietnam in pursuit of new and unusual culinary dishes.
Technical: 337 pages, less than a dozen illustrations.  Hardcover with dust jacket.

~Matt


No comments: