Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Early

First of all let me explain that what happened today has NEVER happened to me before. I may have hated certain jobs or had bad days--but I always put effort into my work and don't shirk my responsibilities. I take work very seriously!!

My "supervisor" (I don't really have a supervisor since the assistant manager responsible for our department left the store and wasn't replaced--but Loss Prevention, i.e. security, is now "responsible for us") asked me to leave work early today. I was utterly shocked to receive a call from him (the LP guy) asking me to clock out--I couldn't understand why he would make this utterly unusual request. He refused to explain until I clocked out--then he said that he was upset with me for not doing what he had asked me to do hours before and that I had to go home. I have no idea what my situation is and am grateful that I have tomorrow off so that I have some time to figure out what is going on.

Today was a very busy day and partway through the morning he called me asking me to move some carts from the back of the store since they were in the way and some people (I assumed inspectors or the like) would be coming through the next day. I assumed that it needed to be done before the end of the day and so I kept going with my normal duties. I wasn't making up work, I was busy the entire day and I didn't take a single break until four and a half hours into my eight hour shift after another guy showed up at 14:00 to work with carts. I recieved a second call during my lunch asking me why the job hadn't been done yet--I replied that I had been quite busy all morning. I was told that it should become a priority. Never once was I told "Do it now regardless of anything else." I was only told to make it a priority.

Coming off break I found that my carts coworker was off to take care of a spill--the LP guy had told him to take care of it. I simply assumed this was because I'd been on break, so I started my scans (we scan a series of barcodes around the store each hour to log that we've walked the floor and removed any spills and such) and made my way to the spill. Once there a vendor told us of another spill a couple aisles over where he had spilled beer. I obtained the necessary equipment and we cleaned up both spills. At this time I told my coworker about the request to move the carts--and he said he'd collect the similar carts from around the lot (the few remaining with quarter locks on them) so they could be put into one area until the locks could be removed. At this point I assumed that either he would remove the carts or that I would help him a bit later--I hadn't had a chance to go collect carts at all in the four hours between ten (when I arrived) and two, when he came in--this was about 15:15, so the lot was still a bit busy and he was busy working in it. After I finished the scans I checked the restrooms up front and recieved the call wherein I was instructed to clock out.

I tried to explain, but I could barely get in a word edgewise. For some reason the LP guy asked my coworker to stick around for the "discussion"--but he didn't say anything, and I barely had the chance to say anything. I suppose it was just so I couldn't lie about anything that he told me--if there was a witness.

I believe this to be a huge case of miscommunication--where the LP guy thinks that he told me point blank to do something now, and I refused to obey--but I see it completely differently. I cannot understand why I was ordered home early and I was never rude, disobedient, or confrontational--merely busy and confused. This, however, only reinforces my already strong desire to get away from this job as soon as possible!!! I'm sick of this place. Not only do I not like the work (and it doesn't further any chance I have of a meaningful career) but the place isn't run very well...

~Matt

5 comments:

Fibonacci said...

I'm surprised at his reaction, but in my experience, when a boss mentions a specific task a second time, it means "do it now". Clearly he wanted it done earlier, or he wouldn't have asked why it wasn't done yet. I'm not trying to take sides here, but that's probably how your supervisor views the situation.

Matt said...

Yeah, I realize that is his perspective. I just can't get over the fact that he did what he did after never explicately telling me to "do it now." I supervise people on a regular basis at the museum (more than him) and I would never take such an action. I can see this from the other side of the fence, and I don't understand it at all...

Becky said...

It is so frustrating when something like this happens, but keep it in the Romans 8:28 context and trust that God has a plan. Keep your armor on and seek to glorify Him. Sounds like you are a diligent worker. God sees that and it must please Him. I'll be praying this situation gets resolved soon.

Matt said...

Well I called one of my coworkers, and apparently the situation at work is fine. I'm not fired or anything like that. The view there is that I was told to do something and refused, so I was sent home. Obviously I disagree with this, but at this point I don't see any reason to take this further.

I'm actually going to stew over it simply because that gives me more reason to want to leave--which I definately do. I want to use this to motivate me to move on. Furthermore I can look at this as a good example of how not to be a manager. Personally I think it would be a much better strategy to sit down with an employee (even if just to chew them out) and find out what happened--rather than just sending them home.

If I really needed this job and couldn't aspire to anything better/different it would have been more humiliating and effective at keeping me "in line"--just not good strategy in my view. I could survive on my incoming paycheck(s) and savings for a month or two if I had to--but things aren't that bad right now so I'm going to stick it out until I can get another job (ASAP).

Matt said...

PS Thanks for the comments Aunt Bee. I will do my best to keep that in mind. :-)