Monday, June 26, 2006

Tim Burton's

My previous post was so short because I needed to pop a DVD into my computer. Today as I left work I rented Corpse Bride from the Redbox machine that was just installed. At the time I wasn't even thinking about Cars. Then after I came home I was browsing on-line when I realized that I hadn't seen Cars yet. My must-see list this summer has a minimum of three titles for theater viewing: Cars, Pirates, and Lady in the Water. The latter two do not come out until July (07 and 21). Cars had so many great touches--from Mater, to the "bugs" that were actually tiny VWs, to the celebrity personalities that appeared as cars. I don't like sports, and NASCAR less than football, baseball, tennis and the like. However, I was nevertheless enthralled with Cars and finding myself having a good time throughout. I especially had fun noticing how many things were different and/or the same because of a lack of human people.

I did see Batman Begins in theaters, but I think I'm less likely to see Superman Returns. I've already decided to pass on X-Men III until it hits DVDs, partly because of cost. I will probably force myself to relegate SR into that category as well, though I did just request a copy of Superman: The Movie on DVD from the library, ;-).

I am trying to keep my theater ticket purchases down though because I get less tangible returns. A book I can reread--and if it isn't that great I could always resell it--I'm not out that much (and I rarely buy books that don't at least look like they'll be something I will like). With a movie I'm sunk if I don't like it (another reason not to buy overpriced popcorn and drinks) and have just wasted money. In that case I'd rather wait for the DVD so I can stop it if it is absolutely terrible--or at least I can watch it on my own and heckle.

I did have part of the ending figured out a while ahead of time, but it was still quite entertaining to watch the story unfold. I've always enjoyed Pixar thus far, and so far I'm 2 for 2 with Tim Burton's stop animation. I especially need to sleep tonight, so I need to sign off now (I won't have time for special features because I want to return the DVD tomorrow so I don't have to pay anymore than the $1.00 it has cost me).

~Matt

No comments: