Sunday, September 17, 2006

Aunt Bee knows her movies

I just finished watching Tristan + Isolde, based on the note I read on Aunt Bee's blog. I checked the DVD out from the library a bit over a week ago, but I've been so busy that I didn't have time to watch the movies. Yesterday I watched The Brother's Grimm and was quite less than impressed. However, besides a few jarring notes in the historical setting (common to the Scott's historical productions) T&I was a fabulous story.

The setting and cast were both quite enjoyable. However, I had to force myself to not see the worst in Marke--I'm only used to seeing that actor play villains [A Knight's Tale, The Legend of Zorro, and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet] , so it was strange to see him as good. I think someone else mentioned it first, but I enjoyed not recognizing any of the main actors (Marke excluded) [Though Tristan was in Spider Man he was different enough here in sight and role that I didn't recognize him; the same holds true for Isolde who appeared in both Underworld movies--so yes, they're not brand new actors, but they're not major very well known stars like Brad Pitt or Matt Damon]. It was easier to see them as the characters rather than as an actor playing a part.

I always enjoy historical or fantasy films, partly because I love that period so much. I do like science-fiction, but time and again I am drawn back to fantasy. Right now I am at the fantasy end of the pendulum and am somewhat ignoring science-fiction. Though, I have no doubt I will swing back--and the ultimate favourite may never be resolved.

But, back to the movie. Some parts were predictable--such as the curing of Tristan and the method, I spotted it right off when they went to put him in the boat for burial at sea. Despite this I could still enjoy the plot. The story is an ancient one and though this adaptation is modern, still the original story predated the modern romance, Romeo and Juliet, and even some of the Arthurian legends. I am more than willing to allow more leeway than I would when suspending disbelief for a more currently set piece.

Please do not read the preceding and see a spirit of complaint. The only caution I would give is that there are at least five love scenes, though they are short, don't reveal much, and may be quickly skipped if you so choose. The fighting was well done and greatly enhanced the picture. If you enjoy a good story, even a good love story, or just a historically set film, then go and rent Tristan + Isolde (or go the cheap route like me and check it out from the library).

~Matt

No comments: