Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Trip to Chicago, part V [Dec 2007]

Read part I, part II, part III, and part IV of the account of this trip from 2007.

December 10, 2007

Train into Chicago, 10:50 CST 
I really slept in this morning.  Yes I stayed up late, but I meant to get another early start.  I thought I set an alarm on my phone, but I must have fallen asleep before I could do so.  At least I caught the 10:45, otherwise it would be a paltry half day like SAturday.  This way I only lose three hours of museum time rather than five! 
A Union Pacific train came through the station from Chicago just a couple of minutes before my Metra train came from the other direction.  I counted three engines and 81 cars--all but one or two of the first ones were tanker cars.  Three times as I was counting I noticed that the numbers on the side of the car (the last two anyway) were one below the number of car it was in that train.  Strange coincidence or somebody's strange sense of humour as they assembled the train?  Probably the former, but the later could make an interesting plot point in a work of fiction, eh?     10:57

Adler Planetarium, lower level waiting for 13:45 show, 13:32 CST 
There are no photographic restrictions anywhere but the theaters that I have seen so far--not even in the "Mapping the Universe" exhibit.  I'm not sure if that will make for a better experience or not.  Perhaps if I consciously take notes along with pictures it will work out.
The theater reminds me of a mini-Omnimax: tiered, curved, dome screen, and center projector.  I think I'd better eat some lunch after this show, I don't want to be full or too hungry at or before dinner time.  I want Panda Express to hit the spot! 
I've definitely decided to give up on the Sears Tower or Hancock Building this trip--the weather hasn't been great (i.e. no visibility).  I'm still not sure what to do tomorrow besides get up quite early.  I might try for a bus ride down to Science and Industry or just finish up at the Field and Planetarium with a possible visit to the Shedd.  If I ever plan a D.C. trip I'd better plan on plenty of time!     13:44

Galileo's Cafe, Adler Planetarium, 14:20 CST
I decided to buy lunch today as you cannot eat a sack lunch inside either museum and I don't want to eat as I'm leaving because I'll then be on my way to dinner.  Hopefully after going through "Mapping the Universe" I'll go back to the Field.  There were a couple of souvenirs there that I wanted to pick up.
I'm enjoying the museum here, but not so much because of the limited time.  I know I cannot see it all.  I'm somewhat tempted to not try but just survey because I can visit again for free.     14:27
Thus ends a short day.  I think I took plenty of pictures, but as previously mentioned I don't have access to them so I cannot post them.

~Matt

No comments: