Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Caro, Michigan

My dad was born in Caro, Michigan, well perhaps it was just outside the city limits.  I have some Michigan credentials (though I've never lived there) because I can tell people where exactly on my hand my dad grew up.  And if that sentence doesn't make sense to you, then all I can say is that you need to go visit Michigan.  Seriously, it is a great place.

I remember my dad telling me that one of the first schools he taught at in California had more students than his hometown.  I just checked current stats on Wikipedia (figuring they are not that controversial and thus likely to be accurate).  The 2010 population of Caro was 4229.  The 2005-2006 2007-2008 enrollment at Jordan Millikan High School in Long Beach was 4279 4474.  It appears that the comparison is still accurate--though I don't know what the exact numbers were like in the 60s.

Anyway, Amy and I drove through Caro this summer.  We stopped in the downtown area for a few minutes to stretch our legs and look around.  There was a farmers market being held around the county courthouse.
We didn't end up buying anything, but we strolled around all the booths and looked at what was available.
Along the side street several people had trucks right next to their booths, which seemed to be quite convenient.
Caro is the county seat of Tuscola County.
The courthouse is a beautiful old building and I couldn't resist taking several shots of the exterior, even though I only had my iPhone available for pictures.
It took several tries to get this flag to be even partly legible.
This reminds me of the Art Deco style employed in the construction of Cincinnati's Union Terminal.

Sometime I'd like to walk through Caro with my dad to hear his stories of the area and to learn what he remembers from his childhood.

~Matt

PS Updated the name and stats of the high school.

No comments: