Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Washington DC in Winter - Part II

After we finished up at Museum of the Bible I wasn't quite ready to head back to the Metro, so we decided to walk around the Mall for a few more minutes.  We were going to be heading home during peak times on the Metro anyway, so it didn't matter if we headed back right then or waited.  This was one of the first times I've been to DC on a weekday in a while, so it was a different experience from that perspective.

Museum of the Bible is rather close to the Mall, so we only had to walk a couple blocks to get back there.  On the way we saw several squirrels running around.  This one stayed still long enough for me to photograph him.

We passed by the future home of the Dwight D. Eisenhower memorial.


Here is a picture of what the memorial should look like someday according to the memorial's website.

 This is rather interesting sculpture.  It apparently was a gift from the Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries in 1999.

 As the weather was nice the carousal was quite popular.

I've always enjoyed the architecture of the castle, the original Smithsonian building.


Amy and my sister-in-law waited by the Smithsonian Metro stop.


However, I hadn't had enough walking, so I headed down towards the Washington Monument while carrying Daniel.

 As I got closer I kept getting opportunities for more great pictures.

This was the street I had to cross right before the monument.  The monument is currently closed for repairs, but the gift shop is open, so I stopped in.

I ended up purchasing a Washington DC book for Daniel so he could remember his first visit to the city.  I also found a neat pint glass featuring a map of the Mall.  We collect pint glasses from our various travels and so it is always fun to find a new one.


 On the way back I went by the National Museum of African American History and Culture.  It had just opened in 2016, long after our last visit to Washington DC.  I want to explore the inside of the museum at some point, but it was nice to walk by and snap a picture for now.

 The sun was setting and so provided yet another opportunity for a great Washington Monument photo.

 Once I got back to the girls we headed back down into the Metro.

 The Smithsonian stop is a couple stops closer to where we started at Franconia-Springfield than where we'd got off for Museum of the Bible, so we saved a bit on the return trip.
 I love the design of the underground Metro stops.  They remind me of hangers.

 Here is a 360° shot of the station.

 Tired and happy at the end of our day.

By the time we got to Franconia-Springfield there were quite a few people waiting to get off and the platform was clogged as we headed up to the upper levels and access to the parking garage.

This album contains all of my pictures from Washington DC this day.

All in all it was a fun day and I'm so glad that we decided to take this adventure into the city.

~Matt






No comments: