Monday, November 26, 2018

Elk and Bison Prairie

While we were camping in the Land Between the Lakes we decided to visit the Elk and Bison Prairie.  It was an excellent decision as we ended up visiting on a great day to drive around.

We saw quite a number of bison as we drove around the loop road.

The Elk & Bison Prairie offers a native grassland habitat common in Kentucky more than a century ago. Elk and bison roam free within this 700-acre enclosure. Visitors travel in their enclosed vehicle via a 3.5-mile paved loop road. Numerous other wildlife species also thrive in the prairie. Wild turkeys, a variety of birds, small game, butterflies, and prairie mammals find sanctuary in the Elk & Bison Prairie.
--from Land Between the Lakes website

We weren't sure about paying at the site as we thought my parents might get a senior discount so we drove to the nearby visitor center and bought an entry pass there.  the regular rate is a very reasonable $5 per car.

Because of how often I deal with point of sale systems at work I had to take a picture of their automatic payment system

The gate remains closed until a car approaches in order to make sure the animals don't escape.

I decided that I wouldn't get to read what this first sign said.  I would have been excited if these were as close as we got to the bison as it was a great view, but better was yet to come.

There are plenty of wallows at the side of the road.

I did stop at several other roadside stops since there were no bison at them.

I even grabbed a panoramic view.

We also saw some elk in the trees, but I didn't have a way to zoom in so I only got a distant view.


When we drove around almost to the end of the loop we saw a number of bison in the woods.

We drove up a bit closer and parked the car to wait for the bison to wander near, and they did.

I got some great views while just sitting in the driver's seat of our van.

This one came close enough that I could actually read its ear tag.

I took this inside shot just so I could get a picture of the bison with our stuffed bison in the same view.

We must have still had winter salt on our car as this bison decided to give the car a good lick.

Ahead of us was a serious photographer with a huge rig in the back of his truck.

I was very pleased with how close we got to see to a number of bison and take photographs.

If you're in the area I'd definitely suggest dropping by the Elk and Bison Prairie, it is well worth a drive through.  The rest of the photos from our visit are located in this album.

~Matt

No comments: