Thursday, April 09, 2020

Fort Sumter - Part I - The Approach

After visiting Charles Pinckney's house we headed towards the water to take a ferry to Fort Sumter.  There were two departure points for visiting the fort and we picked Patriots Point which turned out to be a great choice as we got some good views before and after departure.  The ferry docks very near and then goes around the USS Yorktown.  I definitely want to take a trip back to the area at some point and explore the Yorktown and the rest of Patriots Point.

We didn't know exactly what to expect, but we knew that we wouldn't have too much time at the fort with the ferry schedule, but we figured that with young kids we wouldn't want to spend all day there (even if I could have had I been there on my own).

Since the American Revolution, Americans have built systems of forts at harbors along the coast to strengthen maritime defenses. Following the War of 1812, several major weaknesses in the American coastal defense system were identified. To fill these voids, Congress and the US Army Corps of Engineers planned the construction of around 200 fortifications, primarily located along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts from Maine to Louisiana. Over 40 fortifications were built before construction halted with the outbreak of the American Civil War. These forts are collectively known as the Third System of Seacoast Defense.

Charleston Harbor made the list of sites vulnerable to attack, prompting the construction of Fort Sumter. Construction on the man-made island began in 1829.
--from Fort Sumter and Fort Moultrie NHP website

It was a fairly crowded day with several school/scout groups if I recall correctly.
We caught a glimpse of the Yorktown as we were waiting.
There were many people waiting in the queue.

Once we got moving it didn't take too long for us to board the boat.
We had a great view of the Arthur Ravenel Jr. Bridge that spans the river just to the north.
When I spotted this seagull I have to take a shot and I think it turned out well, I just wish I'd been able to zoom in on him while taking the photo.
Before too long we started moving, heading around the USS Yorktown (as seen above).  The ferry had some signs to begin to introduce you to the fort.  Did you know that it looks virtually nothing like it did during the Civil War?  It was actually a part of the U.S. coastal defense system until after World War II.
The boat even had a snack counter on board, though we'd bought our own snacks.
I wandered around the boat to see what I could see and also where I could get a good view.  Quite a few people were in the bow.
Eventually we could spy the island in the distance.
Most of the chairs on board were just plastic lawn chairs arranged in rows on the deck.
Every minute the fort came closer into view.

Since I'm involved in making so many signs at work I enjoy taking pictures of signs when I'm on vacation.

Finally we could spy another ferry at the dock waiting to depart.
Here you can see what the approach was like (and hear all of the warnings that had to be given).

Once we got close enough I was able to get a picture of just the fort--but the lighting wasn't great.
The boat docks just offshore from the actual island and you walk over a pier/bridge to the island.
Did you know that the fort was "built on an island of over 50,000 tons of granite shipped from New York and New England"? (more info here)
Once on land you are greeted by the old name of the National Park site before it was updated in 2019 to include Fort Moultrie.
I'll leave off this post at this point and save our actual tour of the fort for next time.

~Matt

No comments: