Thursday, April 30, 2020

Royal Danish Embassy

For a number of years my wife has wanted to go to Washington DC for the European Union's embassy weekend in May.  That weekend most member nations host special events and experiences at their embassies and open them to the public.  A few years ago we even went with the intention of going but instead ended up walking around the National Mall all day.

The first embassy on our list to visit was the Danish embassy.  While it wasn't likely to be the most crowded it was the one I wanted to make sure that we visited due to the LEGO company's connection with the country.

The embassy is at the end of a cul-de-sac and there were a few people there before us, but not too many were in line.
Just like many of the other embassies they had extra security out front to screen their extra guests.
Once inside the grounds we walked down the driveway to where tents had been set up.
Of course we were greeted by a Lego sculpture.
The Danish military had a booth emphasizing their cooperation with the US.
The Greenland tourism booth had quite a bit of information, which befitted a landmass that dwarfs its parent country.
I took some time to build out of Lego bricks.

I ended up with what I think was a decent car.  I'd had my Scrooge McDuck minifigure with me and posed him a number of places around the city for fun that weekend.
Also on display were some bicycles.  We could have taken a tour of the residence and in the future certainly might, but this time we had other places we wanted to go and so didn't take the time.
Wind power is big in Denmark so of course they featured a Lego model of a wind turbine.
It was a short visit, but a fun one.  I'd go back if we're in the area for another embassy weekend.  You can see my photos from the grounds in this album.

~Matt

No comments: