Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The Voice of Saruman and The Palantír

Tonight we read birth The Voice of Saruman and The Palantír (since they’re fairly short and related) and finished up book three.

When the Palantír was thrown down the eight year old thought maybe it was a bomb. Then she guessed that Wormtongue threw it down right before I read that. A bit later she asked more about Saruman.
8YO: “How long could Saruman live?”
I explained that he was virtually immortal like the Elves and her eyes got wide. I guess I hadn’t explained how long the Elves could live. 🤦‍♂️
8YO: “What is Saruman’s name?”
Me: “Just Saruman. He isn’t Saruman the White any more.”
8YO: “So he looks like different colors depending on how you look at him?”
Me: “Yep.”
A bit later as we saw Pippen’s usage of the Palantír I asked if the kids understood now it worked. When they said they weren’t sure I explained that it was like a FaceTime call and then they understood. 😂😂

No comments: