Friday, April 15, 2022

Of Beren and Lúthien

Tonight we read just one Silmarillion chapter, Of Beren and Lúthien. The kids have been looking forward to this for quite a while. And except for the four year old that fell asleep on me as I read (the chapter is long and he didn’t have a nap) they really enjoyed it. I even got my wife to listen to the whole chapter with us. It is one of the more enjoyable cohesive tales within the Silmarillion in my opinion. Others are also good, but some stories like that of the Children of Húrin are far more tragic. At least Beren and Lúthien get a happy ending. And I love Huan and wish we got to see more of him.

Both of the older two cheered when I read the name of the chapter.
8YO: “Lúthien is an elf and Beren is a man, right Daddy?”
Me: “Yes.”
Several times when I paused the eight year old said “keep going!”
When Beren stood before Thingol and said that the Silmaril was within his hand the eight year old burst out laughing.
8YO: “It IS in his hand! But it is in the wolf’s belly. That is hilarious.”
At the very end I read the very first paragraph of the next chapter as it covers the end of the story of Beren and Lúthien.

No comments: