Monday, April 04, 2022

The Scouring of the Shire

Tonight we read The Scouring of the Shire and as soon I started the kids had observations.

8YO: “Two storeys? That’s totally un-Hobbit like. They like one storey.”
6YO (gloomy): “That’s because they’re not Hobbits.”
Later when Bill the pony kicked Bill Ferney the eight year old had a quick observation.
8YO: 😂😂 “I know that was Bill. He was giving him a taste…something to think about what he had done to him.”
Later on the kids had questions about the Shire’s new organization.
6YO: “Daddy, I thought the Shire didn’t have a Chief.”
8YO: “I thought they made their own rules.”
My wife: “You’ll just have to wait and see.”
After the hue and cry was raised the kids started chanting (the six year old especially loves war cries from Redwall) loudly: “Fear! Fires! Foes! Awake!”
When Sam saw Rosie again both of the older kids had thoughts… 😂
6YO: “Daddy!! Are they in love?”
Me: “Yes.”
8YO: “I hope there’s going to be a wedding.”
6YO: “No!!! There’s too much kissing.”
Then later before we got to Bag End I got some persistent questioning.
8YO: “Who’s Sharkey?”
Me: “Just wait.”
8YO: “Is it Saruman? Just tell me.”

No comments: