Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Of the Noldor in Beleriand, Of Maeglin, and Of the Coming of Men into the West

Today we read three chapters in the Silmarillion: Of the Noldor in Beleriand, Of Maeglin, and Of the Coming of Men into the West.

Earlier today the eight year old was showing off her pictures she has drawn while I’ve read Lord of the Rings and the Silmarillion to a visitor and her younger sister piped up at one point and I was so proud.
6YO: “The orcs used to be elves but they were twisted and turned evil.” They really are listening and remembering. 😁
Tonight when we came to the mention of Gondolin I asked the kids if they remembered it. It was vaguely familiar but they sadly weren’t sure. So I reminded them that something they knew was made there.
8YO (hesitantly): “Frodo’s sword?”
Me: “Yes. And who else’s?”
8YO: “Gandalf?”
Me: “Yep. Sting and Glamdring.”
The six year old looked at the map at Ossiriand (land of seven rivers) at one point while I was reading and said “I counted the rivers and there are only six.” I then pointed at the River Gelion that all of the other rivers flowed into in the west and reminded her that it was the seventh river.
When I read about the barrow that the people of Haleth raised over her burial the six year old shuddered, “Barrow-wights! I hate the barrow-wights.”

No comments: